I was responding to some topics lately about blogs and I recall at least 2-3 instances the topic was about the most famous bloggers and their uber blogs. I know them and visited them. And still .. I am shocked to see so many people discuss about them in such nice ways. With due respect to such people who made the blogging world what it is today .. some of the blogs are totally uninteresting to me. Weird .. I know.
I hear people chat about johnchow, techcrunch, shoemoney and other assorted names in awe about how nice and interesting the stuff there is. I visited and tried to read them in another day too .. may I am having a bad hair day or something.
Still… no .. no sweet taste in my mouth. Am I a total idiot? How can I not like them when thousands of people like them? Why do I like problogger and some small blogs that are far from being famous? I tried to think more about this and here are some of my reasons:
1. First, I don’t like herds. If people worship something like sheep because they know others think it’s cool and not because THEY feel this I just go nuts. A lot of the hype on some blogs is just .. hype. A very good promotion effort some good content (they won’t become famous with crappy posts) and consistency.
Plus some people to praise them and keep on praising them even when the content is less quality. Maybe they are for that back link on the comments page, who knows. There are some very well known blogs I visited because everyone talks about them, but that didn’t make me come back again.
2. What I don’t like in some HUGE blogs is that they don’t remove the nofollow tag in the links. That’s not a nice thing to do, but why worry when you have thousands of subscribers and a huge income? Who cares about the idiots who comment, eh?
3. I don’t like to read tech news and other assorted crap. For Goodness sake I am tired of reading about Windows Vista new plugin or whatever, about the iPhone and iGocrazy and all these topics. If I want to read about a computer or a piece of software I go to the specialized sites, not BLOGS. Ufff
4. I am glad people have a life and like to share their pics and stories in their web development blog. I am glad, but I dislike those posts. I come to that blog to read about a new SEO technique or a nice way to solve a forum issue … not to read about the blogger’s 20 days vacation on the Easter Isles or wherever he was able to go. Good for the people who can still go out and have fun, but please make a personal life blog and share your feelings and keep that darn tech blog clean.
5. I dislike too many posts that are made just for the sake of it. I dislike posts that gather links and ideas from others and as weird as it might seem some of the biggest bloggers sometimes do this .. they read a nice article and comment it a bit, plus some links and here we go .. another blog entry.
There are TOO MANY blogs that repeat the same stuff. I like to see something new. Even crazy rants like this one, getting against the hype and just having a say. The blog is yours, stop linking and commenting .. I don’t care that a famous blogger makes 20-50 posts a day or whatever he can come up with. I would like to read 1 post/week, but with some fresh content and not repeating the same stuff I already read in other 20 blogs.
6. Advertising till you get blind. I know we have the so called “ad blindness”.. we’re web designers, we kinda know them. I have nothing against some ads on a blog. The guy worked like crazy to get into such a nice position and effort must be repaid. Still some have so many banners and affiliate links I just want to scream. Even if I do support advertising as a good way to keep something awesome going, too much of it makes me wanna leave.
7. Blogs on a white background… told you I am having a bad hair day .. just noticed that no matter how famous or not a blog is I don’t like seeing white only background blogs. They look unorganized to me .. even a small 1 pixel border around the content would make it look better
That kinda sums it up. Now I am waiting to be shot or tortured till I say I like those star blogs. Till then, I will visit the ones I really enjoy and not the ones people say I should. Till tomorrow .. kisses.